Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is organizing the 4th edition of Tamil Nadu Banana Festival on 21 - 23 July 2017 at Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai. In association with Government of Tamil Nadu, supported by Tamil Nadu Agriculture University, National Research Centre for Banana ( NRCB), The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Tamil Nadu Banana Growers Federation.
This festival is a culmination of all the efforts made till date in this sector. The recent adoption of Solar Dehydration of Banana Technology from Thailand by farmers from Thottiam, Trichy is a direct outcome of this initiative, because of which farmers are reaping good benefits.
The theme for this edition is titled as “Fruit Care for Profits” and the focus areas are as follows:
- Bringing in Investments for Developing Pre and Post Harvest Infrastructure for Banana.
- Developing Logistics and Fruit handling capabilities towards reducing post harvest losses.
- Exploring the export market potential of traditional banana varieties from the state.
- Branding Traditional Tamil Nadu Bananas and creating Awareness in Markets.
The current edition will also feature the following aspects for the benefit of the stakeholders:
- Sessions educating farmers on improving their production through scientific cultivation.
- Buyer – Seller Meets paving way for direct transactions and better price realization.
- Showcasing and display of traditional varieties of the fruit.
- An Exhibition of 100 Exhibitors from related sectors that support Banana.
The event will be attended by leading Scientists, Banana Traders, related Stakeholders, Senior Officials from National Horticulture Board, ICRA, National Research Centre for Banana, TNAU, Horticulture Department across India, Government of Tamil Nadu and International participation.
Participation of progressive Farmers from Banana growing States namely Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Pondicherry, Telangana, West Bengal etc. About 7500 Farmers from the Banana growing belts in Tamil Nadu will also attend the Banana festival.