North Bengal consists of 8 districts namely Alipurduar, Coochbehar, Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Jalpiaguri, Malda, Uttar Dinajpur and Dakshin Dinajpur. Siliguri in particular is the gateway to north east India and a commercial hub, is also the central hub of education within the Terai along with the Dooars region. Aside from the citizens of West Bengal, students from neighboring states of Sikkim, Bihar and Assam and neighboring nations of Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Thailand and Myanmar pursue higher education. The region has immense potential in Education, skill development; there are a number of English medium schools, both at the primary and secondary level. The inclusive and sustainable growth of a region and a state largely depends on how public and private sectors work together to leverage the strength of higher education ecosystem for improving the overall human development and for creating a pool of high skilled man-power which can contribute to the social & economic development of state.
Traditionally West Bengal has been one of the hubs of India’s knowledge activities. The state hosts many globally acclaimed institutions in education and research. In order to systematically derive economic benefits from the investments made in the knowledge ecosystem and also to connect Indian industry, government and institutions with the globe for forging knowledge-partnerships towards mutual economic benefits,
CII proposes a platform for Government, North Bengal education institutes to discuss their endeavors in the area of industry-institute partnerships and forge linkages in higher education, vocational education, skill development, innovation, entrepreneurship and research thus creating avenues for bigger and better collaborations.
- Bridging the gap between Industry and Institute.
- Advocacy and discussion with the policy makers.
- There is an urgent need to prepare students for jobs by exposing them to newer technologies and methodologies and fostering entrepreneurship.
- Use of resources from industries and the institute for benefit of industries, students and society.
- Making available Institute infrastructural facilities to the industries and vice versa.
- To bring a paradigm change in Youth empowerment through Education, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
- Bring in together all the North Bengal ITIs, Polytechnic Colleges and Government Institutions together for Industry Institute interface for understanding the requirement of industry and creating employment through entrepreneurship.
- To generate awareness amongst local youth on employment linked skill-training opportunities in the region and outside and provide competencies that will enable local population to become self-employed.
- To ensure these innovations grow into job-creating commercial products and services, collaboration exist amongst government, industry, and academia.