The continuous rains from 14 -17 June 2013 accompanied by cloudbursts caused grave natural disaster in the hills of Uttarakhand impacting five districts of Uttarakhand - Uttarkashi, Rudraprayag (which also has the Kedarnath Valley), Chamoli, Tehri and Pithoragarh. The tragedy having struck at the time of the Char Dhamyatra, both the locals and visiting pilgrims were impacted by the calamity. More than 1 lakh people were rescued in the ensuing rescue effort. As per official estimates as on date, 580 people have been declared dead, 5748 are missing.
In addition to the immense loss of precious lives and damage to property & infrastructure, the disaster has also caused loss of livelihoods, the economy of Garhwal hills depending primarily upon the Char Dhamyatra for sustenance. The rebuilding effort required is massive and at least medium term.
CII Relief Initiative
Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) geared up to lend a helping hand to the distressed. CII has formed Special Task Forces at Uttarakhand and CII Northern Region to provide relief to the flood devastated state.
The relief initiaitve being carried under the aegis of the CII Foundation, is focusing on Rudraprayag and Chamoli districts and is centered around catering to the needs of the local population.
On ground assessment & plan
A CII team spent five days visiting some of the impacted areas in the intervention districts. The team interacted with the villagers, local community leaders, and the district administration to understand the situation on ground. Based on this and the inputs received post discussions with the State Government, NGOs and Army a plan for relief effort has been drawn up and is being pursued.
In phase, I relief camps are being planned at each of the three Tehsils of the District Rudraprayag – Jakholi, Rudraprayag and Ukhimath in consultation with the District Administration. A camp is planned for Naranbagar in district Chamoli.
In phase II we would be focusing on Rehabilitation, We are contemplating building houses and various community assets like schools, healthcentres, special care units and project for the orphans and senior citizens.
H E Dr Aziz Qureshi, Governor, Uttarakhand flagged off the relief material for the first set of camps at Jakholi and Naranbagar. Also present on the occasion was Mr Subhash Kumar, Chief Secretary, Government of Uttarakhand.
Camps have been held at villages Sumadi&Chakha in Jakholi Tehsil of Rudraprayag District and at Narayanbagar at District Chamoli, on 16 and 17 July respectively. Around 250 families from several villages benefitted from the camp.
The relief material comprised bedding sets (cots, quilts, mattresses), solar lanterns, water purifiers, blankets, torches, and hygiene items.
The next set of camps are being planned at Agustamuni and Ukhimath and are expected to reach out to more than 300 families. In addition to the above relief material, temporary shelters would also be distributed at these camps. We also plan to hand over large quantity of medicines & chlorine tablets to the District authorities.
In addition to the relief material we have also made available 4 Backhoe loaders at Rudraprayag for road repair and reconstruction work. We are in the process of tying up more as this is very critical requirement at present.
CII thanks its members for their generous contributions & continued support in this time of crisis.
As the task of reconstruction is enormous and at least medium term, we need your further financial support. Please make your contribution by way of Cheque in favour of ‘CII Foundation’. For all cheque contributions, 80 G Certificate will be issued.
Thank You Contributors
• JamnaLal Bajaj Foundation
• DCM Shriram Consolidated Ltd.
• TIL Welfare Trust
• SRF Welfare Trust
• Jubilant Life Sciences Ltd. & its Employees
• Aertex Electrovoice Co.
• AKUMS Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
• Ambica Steels Ltd.
• Associated Soapstone Distributing Co. Pvt. Ltd.
• Astra Microwave
• Avaneetha Textiles
• Beeam Industries Pvt. Ltd.
• Bosch Ltd.
• BRK Commodity India Ltd.
• Chemtura Chemicals India Pvt. Ltd.
• Cholayil Pvt. Ltd.
• Cooper BussmannIndia Pvt. Ltd.
• Daya Krishna Vidyawati Charity Trust
• Diamond International Pvt. Ltd.
• Dr Sabharwal’s Manufacturing Labs Ltd.
• Drish Shoes Ltd.
• Eagle Burgmann India Pvt. Ltd.
• Elin Appliances Pvt. Ltd.
• EsselPropack Ltd.
• Eveready Industries India Ltd.
• Everest Industries
• Flora o Foods
• Godrej Consumer Products Ltd.
• Gravita India Ltd.
• Great Value Hotels
• Guru Nanak Auto Enterprises Ltd.
• Honeywell Electrical Devices and Systems India Ltd. & its Employees
• Hotel PadminiNivas
• IDS Infotech Ltd & Its Employees
• Integra Software
• Jaipur Rugs Co. Pvt Ltd
• JCB India Ltd.
• JVS Foods Pvt. Ltd.
• Kalpa Industries
• KHS Machinery Pvt. Ltd.
• Kusalava International Ltd.
• Linaks Pressings
• Maco Pvt. Ltd.
• Mark Exhaust Systmes Ltd.
• Mayur Leather Products Ltd.
• MayurUniquoters Ltd.
• Micromatic Grinding Technologies Ltd.
• Morepen Laboratories Ltd.
• MrsBector’s Food Specialities Ltd.
• National Engineering Industries Ltd.
• Neptune Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd.
• NIMH Technolinks
• North Shore Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
• On The Go
• Phoenix Conveyor Belt
• PMS Flashmatics Pvt. Ltd.
• Promed Exports Pvt. Ltd.
• PTC Industries Ltd.
• Quantum School of Technology
• Ralson (India) Ltd.
• RHI Clasil Ltd.
• Rotary International District 3140
• ShivamAutotech Ltd.
• Sidharth Engineering
• SRSL International Pvt. Ltd.
• Techno Centre (India) Pvt. Ltd.
• Uttarakhand Teleglobal Pvt. Ltd.
• Wartsila India Ltd.
• Yi Bhopal members
• Yi Coimbatore
• CII (Staff)