Mr. Uday Kotak
President-Designate, CII (2018-19)
Managing Director & CEO,
Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited
Uday Kotak, is the Founder and MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank. The Bank has consolidated net worth of around US$7.75 billion and over 50,000 employees. Uday believes that the true measure of performance is sustainable value creation. Investors who kept faith with the enterprise over the past 32 years have seen 40% CAGR on their investments.
The Group’s vision for equitable prosperity extends beyond financial services. The Kotak Education Foundation works with some of India’s most economically underprivileged communities, attempting to alleviate poverty through education and livelihood programmes.
In June 2017, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) requested Uday to chair the panel on corporate governance. In October 2017, Uday-led panel submitted the report on corporate governance to SEBI recommending sweeping changes to create a more robust and transparent governance environment. In October 2018, Government of India appointed Uday as the non-executive chairman of the new IL&FS board with a mandate to steer one of India’s largest NBFCs - IL&FS, out of the crisis that it is caught up in, which Uday has taken up as national duty.
Uday is a member of the International Advisory Panel of Monetary Authority of Singapore and is the President-Designate of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
He has been awarded the ‘Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year Award’ in 2014, ‘Economic Times Business Leader of the Year Award’ in 2015, ‘USIBC Global Leadership Award’ at the 2018 India Ideas Summit organised by the U.S.-India Business Council, ‘Lifetime Achievement Award ’ at Financial Express’ Best Banks’ Awards 2016 and ‘Businessman of the Year 2016’ by Business India.
Uday holds a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, and a MMS degree from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies.
- Co-Chairman of Indo-UK Financial Services Partnership (IUKFP) constituted under guidance of Ministry of Finance (MoF), Government of India (GoI) and UK Treasury
- Vice President of Confederation of Indian Industries (CII)
- Served as Chairman of Securities & Exchange Board of India (SEBI) constituted Corporate Governance Committee
- Chairman of Advisory Committee on Corporate Insolvency and Liquidation constituted by the
Insolvency & Bankruptcy Board of India
- Chairman of Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bodh Gaya
- Served as a member of the Primary Market Advisory Committee of SEBI
- Member of the Board of Governors of Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER)
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC)
- Governing Member of the Mahindra United World College of India
- Served as a member of Government of India's High Level Committee on Financing Infrastructure, which was set up by Government of India in 2010
- 'Banker of the Year' at Businessworld Magna Awards 2018
- 'Business Leader' at the Lakshmipat Singhania - IIM Lucknow National Leadership Awards 2017
- 'Lifetime Achievement Award ' at Financial Express' Best Banks' Awards 2016
- 'Businessman of the Year 2016' by Business India
- Sole Indian Financier to feature in Money Masters: The Most Powerful People in The Financial World, by Forbes magazine, USA (May 2016)
- 'AIMA-JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award' for the year 2015 at AIMA's 2nd National Leadership Conclave
- 'Best Transformational Leader Award 2015' by Asian Centre for Corporate Governance Sustainability in 2016
- 'ET Business Leader of the Year' at ET Awards 2015 for Corporate Excellence
- 'Entrepreneur of the Year' at Forbes India Leadership Awards 2015
- 'Entrepreneur of the Decade' by Bombay Management Association (BMA) in 2015
- 'Banker of the Year 2014' by Businessworld
- 'Transformational Business Leader Award' at the AIMA Managing India Award 2014
- 'Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year 2014 Award'
- 'Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013 Award (India)'
- 'Banker of the Year 2013-14' at India's Best Bank Awards by Financial Express
- 'Financial Leadership Award' at NDTV Profit's Business Leadership Award 2011
- CNBC Asia's Business Leader of the Year in 2008
- 'Global leaders for tomorrow' at the World Economic Forum's annual meet at Davos in 1996